Using Music in Schools


The MPA has developed a new licence that covers the copying of printed sheet music in schools. It is called the Schools Printed Music Licence (SPML) and will be available to schools from April 2013 exclusively through the Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA). Schools or education authorities wishing to buy a licence should visit CLA’s website for more information.

Printed Music Licensing Ltd (PMLL) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the MPA and has been set up to manage the SPML. Anyone else interested in finding out more about the licence should email

The PMLL website, which will give more information is currently under construction.

General information about the use of music in schools can be found on the Copyright and Schools website.

Article Links: