The UK’s music publishing sector is hugely dynamic – covering a wide range of roles, from creative to legal, across all genres of music.
Job Description: Concord is looking to employ a full-time Theatrical Licensing and Rental Services Coordinator to work in its Boosey & Hawkes classical music publishing business in London.
Concord is the independent, worldwide leader in the development, management and acquisition of music publishing, sound recordings and theatrical performance rights. It has offices in Los Angeles, New York, Nashville, Miami, London, Berlin, Melbourne, Sydney and Auckland.
Boosey & Hawkes, which is part of the Concord group, is the largest specialist classical music publishing company in the world. It has an unrivalled catalogue and a roster of contemporary classical composers. It operates from Concord’s offices in London, Berlin and New York.
The Boosey & Hawkes Theatrical Licensing Team in London (“the Team”) oversees the use of music from the Boosey & Hawkes catalogue e.g. in operas/dance/musicals and plays, across a wide range of territories. It guides a wide range of customers through the process, from initial application to obtaining the permissions and approvals required for performances to be licensed. The Team also handles associated permissions for the filming of performances and the making available of those films in cinemas, broadcasts, DVD/Blu-ray and via online media. Team members maintain and nurture close relationships with Boosey & Hawkes’ house composers and composer estates as well as overseas agents, affiliates, performing organisations, presenters, conductors, directors and choreographers.
The Team works in close collaboration with the Boosey & Hawkes Rental Services Team, which handles the hiring of performing materials to amateur and professional customers. This new role will include the handling of some rental activity alongside the core theatrical licensing functions.
Overview of Responsibilities
• Handling rental arrangements for the supply of performance materials for theatrical performances, working closely with the Boosey & Hawkes Rental Services Team
• Processing and progressing applications to present Boosey & Hawkes repertoire in a theatrical context
• Handling recording hire fee arrangements where Boosey & Hawkes repertoire is used for making commercial recordings
• Providing general administrative support to the Boosey & Hawkes Theatrical Licensing Team and, as required, to the Rental Team.
Outline of Specific Functions
Collaborating with departments across the company to ensure joined-up facilitation of theatrical productions, including liaising with:
• Rental Services Team in connection with supply of hire materials for theatrical performances
• As required, processing and progressing applications for rental of performing materials to present Boosey & Hawkes repertoire in concert
• Copyright team regarding permissions and licensing of proposed translations, arrangements etc.
• Promotion team regarding commissioned works, premieres, performance listings etc.
• Finance team to track receipt of payments from customers and ensure all necessary tax certificates are in place
• Business Affairs team on more complex contractual and copyright issues
• Setting up new theatrical licensing and associated hire requests on our hire library management system and keeping that system updated
Overseeing and being the main point of contact for the supply of hire materials relating to licences being handled by the Team, including:
• Scheduling the supply of perusal and performing materials and, in liaison with VP Rental Services, scheduling any reprints necessary
• Working with Editorial/Publishing department where necessary to answer queries related to hire materials
Processing and progressing applications to present Boosey & Hawkes repertoire in a theatrical context, with a focus initially on amateur customers, including:
• Seeking permissions from composers and composer estates
• Negotiating terms and conditions
• Issuing licences
• Calculating and invoicing royalties, hire fees etc.
• Working with theatrical licensing colleagues in our Berlin and New York offices and our international network of agents;
Handling supply of hire materials and concluding recording hire fee arrangements where materials are hired for recordings of our classical works (both for dramatic and non-dramatic uses), to include liaising with record labels and the Boosey & Hawkes Promotion and Publishing teams
Assisting with permissions and licensing for associated audio-visual exploitation of theatrical productions e.g. films, broadcasts, webcasts, cinema screenings and streaming
Maintaining clear, accurate and up-to-date records for the benefit of the Team (licensing/hire database, correspondence, contracts etc.) for licensing and reference purposes and producing reports on theatrical licensing activity
Responding to general enquiries relating to theatrical licensing, monitoring the licensing page on the Boosey & Hawkes website for new requests submitted online, monitoring magazines and other sources to identify unlicensed performance activity and attending performances and industry events.
How to Apply
We actively encourage applicants from a wide variety of backgrounds and experience. Full and ongoing training will be an integral part of the role.
Please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] quoting ‘Theatrical Licensing & Rental Services Coordinator, B&H’ in the subject line and stating where you saw the position advertised. Applicants must live and be eligible to work in the UK.
Closing date: 28 February 2023
Concord is an equal-opportunity employer. We employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of age, gender assignment, marital status, pregnancy, disability, race, religion, sex as required by law. We believe that diversity, inclusion and equity is paramount for the creation of music, theatre and film that celebrates and empowers all cultures
What we are looking for
Type: Full-time permanent
Closing Date: 28/02/2023 00:00:00
You are now being redirected to the Printed Music License Limited website
You are now being redirected to the PRS For Music who administer the MCPS
Enter the keywords to search the site and click enter